Sunday, September 9, 2012

As I took the tape off of the 7 suture lines on Allie's torso tonight, I used some glue remover to get the yucky sticky stuff off.  I looked to her legs and saw several nasty glue spots left over from her 2nd catheter and decided to rub those off also.  Brennan walked in and said, "Wow, Allie you are the toughest little girl I know."  He seemed so interested in the procedure.  He asked "What did the omentum look like? Did they take pictures of her brain when her head was open?"  I told him I was sure they had, because one of the surgeons had shown me a picture of her omentum that he took on his cell phone during the procedure.  As I put neosporin on her sutures I noticed I could see the slight bulging of the omentum that had been strung up along her torso.  I could feel it, under her skin. Brennan again was intrigued "They strung it all the way up under her skin from here (points to her abdomen) to her brain.  "Yup." I answered.  I combed through her hair and she winced several times as I worked through the left side of her head.  We googled pictures of moyamoya surgeries and saw children with the same suture dressings and the ever present dot on the right side of her forhead.  I always thought they dropped something. Instead, it is where the screws dig into her skin from the head rest that keeps her head stationary for the surgery.  So many surgeries, so many times her brain and body has been opened up for other's to treat . . . to examine.  I wondered, will someone one day google "omentum transposition surgery" images and find Allie's brain and omentum for other's to see.  Possibly.  Does it bother me? The answer is, not as long as there is an older sibling of a kiddo who has had the same surgery getting answers to his questions about his younger sibling's terrible illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment